Agree or Disagree/Opinion
- It is better for young to get advice from older people than young people. Do you agree or disagree?
- Countries with long average working hours are economically more successful than those countries which do not work long hours. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that the government should increase tax on unhealthy food to encourage people to start eating healthy. Do you agree or disagree?
- It is too expensive to look after and repair old buildings. This money should be spent on building modern buildings instead. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Many people believe that countries should produce food for the whole population and import as little food as possible. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Subjects like arts, music and drama are more important than other school subjects and therefore should be given more time in the calendar. Do you agree or disagree?
- People's shopping habits depend more on the age group they belong to than any other factors.To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that to give opportunities to the new generation companies should encourage high level employees who are older than 55 to retire. Do you agree or disagree?
- Scientific research should be the responsibility of governments rather than commercial organizations. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Some people think that it is fine for professional sportsmen and sportswomen to misbehave on or off the field, as long as they are playing well. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Some people say that technologies such as mobile phones are disrupting social interaction. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that the whole family (grandparents, uncles, aunts) bringing up children is better rather than only parents. What is your opinion?
- Some people argue that it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Others believe that it is better to try and improve such situations. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that young people should go to university to further their education while others think they should be encouraged to work as car mechanics or builders etc.to serve society. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that music plays an important role in society. Others think it is simply a form of entertainment. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Some people think that job satisfaction is more important than job security. Others think that people cannot expect to enjoy a job and that having a permanent job is more important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think history has little or nothing to offer, while others say the study of the past helps us understand the present. Write on both views and give your opinion, citing examples from your experience.
- Some people think that zoos are cruel and all the zoos should be closed. However, others think that zoos are useful to protect rare animals. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people believe that women should be treated as equal to men when applying for a job with police or the military. Others think women are less suitable for this kind of job. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Many people think that every individual is responsible for their happiness, but some people believe there are other external factors that influence us. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people prefer to work in the same type of job throughout their lifetime while others like to change the type of job they do. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that it is necessary to travel abroad to learn about other countries, but others think that it is not necessary to travel abroad because all the information can be seen on TV and the internet. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that the best way to stay fit is to join a gym/health club while others think doing everyday activities such as walking and climbing stairs is sufficient. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Positive or Negative Development
- Nowadays celebrities earn more money than politicians. What are the reasons for this? Is it a positive or negative development?
- People are becoming too dependent on the Internet and phone. Is it a positive or negative development?
Advantages and Disadvantages/Outweigh
- Nowadays, people are spending more time away from their homes because they spend longer in their workplace. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- Nowadays a few people take their family with them abroad whenever they go on a business trip. What are the advantages and disadvantages for them and for their family?
- Many parents complain about violence promoted to their children through video games, TV programs and other media. Why is it happening? What can be the solution for it?
- Online shopping is significantly increasing. What effects does this have on the environment and the types of jobs required?
- Many people are copying famous celebrities from magazines and TV. Why is this happening? Do you think it's a good idea to copy celebrities?
- Many students around the world don’t choose science subjects at university. Give the reasons for this and describe the impact on the community?
- Why are some people who leave school early more successful compared with those who complete their studies. Provide reasons why they are more successful and what are the requirements for success?